Openreach Exchange Exit Programme
On 12th December Openreach issued a briefing clarifying the latest exchange exit programme details. FCS requested that this briefing was made available in the public domain area of the Openreach website, so that our reseller members can review it directly. FCS recommends that reseller members liaise with their wholesaler(s) so that they are fully aware of the impact on destination products. Key points for members are:
- Openreach now plan to exit 103 exchanges by 2030 and retain 959 key exchanges in total
- A full list of exchanges to be exited has been shared with industry in a formal 12th December briefing.
- Please speak with your wholesaler(s), so that you are fully aware of the impact of the exchange exit programme on your customers destination products.
- Openreach will be running an exchange exit consultation during March 2023 which will include commercials and details of some new initiatives proposals. FCS will be responding to this consultation and will seek member input.
- Deddington will be the first on the list of exchanges to be exited/closed
- Formal Openreach comms on all of the above will cascade down from Openreach to direct customers and for most FCS members, their wholesalers.
- A customer in an exchange exit site closing, who has not been moved to IP, will get dial tone and be able to dial 999. However, members need to be aware that customers in this situation will potentially report a fault and so preparation will be required to handle these queries.
- Some CPs have indicated that in some cases, they may need to move the existing copper customer to another copper-based service as a short-term expedient.